www.tanktransporter.co.uk

Tank Transporter Social Network :: free to join

Who are the oldest members to post on the site. Jack Atherton, Mick Warner & Barry West were already at Ranby Camp when I arrived in late 1966. As was Vic Atkinson (I think) who I did my first drag with as no3, before he went to 23 Sqdn.

Any news about any old Ranbyites, especially old "A" troopers, George Keogh, Jack Perret, Scotty Mcbride, Alan Muncey etc would be appreciated.

Barney.

Views: 974

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I arrived at Ranby 9 January 1963 straight from jnr ldrs. I was in A troop. I did a couple of drags as Tom Corks No2 on a tenny my first Diamond T drag was to Rhu Scotland to do the beach landing trials on the brand new LSL Sir Lancelot. Lofty Luke (B troop was there with a Mk 2 and Scammel with a Conqueror and there were 4 A troop Diamond T' s with Cents. I was Larry Grahams no2. Jock Moyes. Jock Spiers and I think Archie Turnbull were the other No 1s, I think Jack Donner was there as well. Got a Photo of us all in a Glasgow pub some where I'll post it on the site when I can dig it out. Must rest now, it's my age you understand.

Phil (neddy) Clayton
Hiya Phil, I think I remember you from "A" Troop, a bit of a lad as I recall, you liked your cars.......... There is a photo of you on Russ Egglestones page and I have one I got from Barry West (two more old buggers from Ranby I should have included ) that may be you, I'll add it to my photos.
I remember Lofty Luke, now sadly, no longer with us, and Tom Cork picked me up at Retford station when I was posted in to the sqdn. I was straight out of basic training, and a bit apprehensive about what to expect, but Tom gave me a few tips on the way in and put me right at ease about the job. Jack Donner used to post stuff onto the TT Reunion site, but I haven't seen anything from him for a long while.
I'm off now for a drop of something Scottish, so all the best,

Barney.
PS, I thought the other person on the picture was Mick Warner
Attachments:
A couple more photos
Attachments:
Barney,
Jack Atherton and Keith "Brock" Brocklesby,and the late Big John & Jim Luke, were already at 123 Coy in Senne by easter 1962 when I arrived in the REME Wksp. Regards Maurice (Mo) Hope
Cheers Mo, have you seen the photos of Jack, now living in Oz. You will also remember Ray Milward from 23, who I'm still in touch with. I have a photo of John Luke at the Sheffield reunion 1973 ish.
The nearest I got to Senne was as a 40 year old reservist on ex Lionheart 84. I had a night there when my week on the exercise finished.

Barney
Attachments:
Phil Clayton said:
I arrived at Ranby 9 January 1963 straight from jnr ldrs. I was in A troop. I did a couple of drags as Tom Corks No2 on a tenny my first Diamond T drag was to Rhu Scotland to do the beach landing trials on the brand new LSL Sir Lancelot. Lofty Luke (B troop was there with a Mk 2 and Scammel with a Conqueror and there were 4 A troop Diamond T' s with Cents. I was Larry Grahams no2. Jock Moyes. Jock Spiers and I think Archie Turnbull were the other No 1s, I think Jack Donner was there as well. Got a Photo of us all in a Glasgow pub some where I'll post it on the site when I can dig it out. Must rest now, it's my age you understand.

Phil (neddy) Clayton
I did my training at Ranby September 1960 then post to 123 Coy RASC Novermber 1960. The full screw in charge of training was Kim mustafa , there's a picture of him in my photo's.Taf Roberts and Bert McAlpine were on the same course. We were down the bottom of Ranby in the training wing Memory going a bit getting old but not as old as JACK ATHERTON hes just turn a big one I'm a youngster at 68. It would nice to hear from any old mate. Anybody remember Flash Blythe Daddy Glover Ben Horn he Slept in the Armoury and Fred Judge from camera club

Brock
Cheers Keith, there seem to be more "old buggers" about than you realise! I remember Fred Judge,and Jack of course, but don't know any of the others. In the early 60s, before I joined the army, I worked "on the buses"with a bloke called Brian Dews, nicknamed Dewdrop. He said he was an ex 19/23 Sqn member, and would now be about your era, does he ring any bells?

Russ, I didn't get your message, just a copy of the one from Phil "Neddy" Clayton.

Barney.
Hi Everyone, I was at ranby camp in 1956 and 1957, I was in c platoon but mostly on the road with drivers from b platoon ie cpl Gordie prentice, there does not seem to be any others around these days, I'm only 72 living in western australia Keith Evans
Hiya John, (or Keith) Nice to hear from you all the way from sunny Oz. Where exactly are you, as "Whistling Jack" Atherton, ex SSM of 19 Sqdn lives in Perth. I was in "A" troop, with Pete Dunlop as troop SSgt, and Major Turner was O/C. I suppose a lot of the older lads aren't "computerised", so aren't aware of the site.

All the best,
Barney.

John Keith Evans said:
Hi Everyone, I was at ranby camp in 1956 and 1957, I was in c platoon but mostly on the road with drivers from b platoon ie cpl Gordie prentice, there does not seem to be any others around these days, I'm only 72 living in western australia Keith Evans
Hi Barney I live in Perth in a Suburb called Nollamara, have live in Perth since 1967, and loved every minute of it, and you could be right about the other oldies not being computerised, it sure is a fast world these days regards Keith
Hi lads,just been reading some of the replies,and think i might (only just) qualify as an old duffer.I arrived at ranby in february 67 straight from basic and as green as grass,was put into "c"troop,with kenny blest shagger mcdermott,yogi gair kenny somebody and old tony,the best mk1 driver i ever had the pleasure of being no 2 too...I remember getting a right bollocking for calling jack atherton (skipy) and now he is living with them!!!!!!.its nice to see so many names and faces on this site, but still a lot of old duffers out there,will keep watching...regards to all,bill...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Notes

Membership

Membership is free to join the Tank Transporter website, however not all those who apply are welcome due to spamming that has gone on in the past. Those individuals (spammers) who pretend to either have served or is currently serving, either want to send out false claims of poverty or get rich schemes to all of us.

I approve each member to the site, most times I get it right but the odd one slips through the net, if you feel that your application…

Continue

Created by ken baldwin Feb 18, 2015 at 2:35pm. Last updated by ken baldwin Feb 18, 2015.

Poll

Created by ken baldwin Oct 31, 2012 at 1:24pm. Last updated by ken baldwin Oct 31, 2012.

Notes Home

Welcome! To view all notes, click here. Continue

Created by ken baldwin Oct 31, 2012 at 1:23pm. Last updated by ken baldwin Oct 31, 2012.

Badge

Loading…

© 2017   Created by ken baldwin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service